10/2/06

Rice and shine!

I LOVE rice. Period. But lately, there seems to be this paradigm shift in my already confused universe. I have started HATING it.. whaaaaaaaat?

Yes, this is the morbid confession of a South Indian Madras Rice Freak. Rice for lunch, rice for dinner, and rice for breakfast at times too - that was me. But ever since I have started cooking rice daily and having it here at work for lunch, I feel like 'Damn, isn't there anything else I can eat?'. And for the past two-three weeks, all I can think of are McD's french fries and Potbelly-Panera-Subway sandwiches. Has eating rice become so monotonous? But how is it that three-course rice meals at home everyday went by pleasantly in Madras? The sambar, rasam, pachidi, curry and thayir sadam (man, if only I were a poet, my first ode would be to Thayir Sadam!) routine was sailing along so smooth then.

Ok, thinking of that, Thayir sadam still hasn't gotten hazy, its still strong and steady in my preferences. But its the basic rice that has become jaded. I wouldn't mind eating some frozen Mac n' Cheese for lunch, but please, don't give me micro-waved rice in a box again? Maybe it all has to do with the sitting on the sofa - eating from a plate - licking your fingers thing. Which is why I could probably explain the fact that I don't mind rice for dinner.

But why do I not mind Chipotle for a meal? Isn't that rice too? But nah, its FRESH. Complete, and a feast for the eyes too. Thats probably why I still like it. And which is why I love soups. They are so smooth, and easy to eat/drink(?). Oooh, its a T-storm outside now, and my mouth waters at the thought of the Broccoli-Cheddar at Panera.. Haha, lets drag B.

But does that mean, I have started not liking Indian cuisine.. No, that isn't true either. I still love rasam, cutlets, Hema's kitchen, India House appetizers, Sev batata puri from a box, etc etc.

It is but a passing phase I guess. I should just lay off the rice for a while, and start having all other things like salads, pasta, mac, pizza and sandwiches at work. That should have me panting for rice like a dog at dinner :)

0 comments: